Race Review: Spartan Race Windsor Sprint and Beast 2017!

October 12, 2017


On September 30th and October 1st, I completed a total distance of just under 20 miles, did my first half marathon and completed my Sparta Trifecta! I went through blood, sweat and tears...literally and here's how it went down!


Spartan Beast - September 30th 2017 - 13-16km


I was the last wave of the day, staring at a very late time of 1:50 pm, so found it very overwhelming to find out I wasn't the last finished overall, places 268 out of all 561 females and came first place in my age category. 

The course was very muddy, being the last wave and having a light shower meant that parts of the course were like swamps and the mud came deepest up to our waists! This slowed me down a lot and also meant that many of the obstacles were muddy, slippy and easy to cut or smack your shins on! The obstacles overall were very enjoyable, many new ones for 2017 like a horizontal rope climb and sand bag drags which, in my opinion, were much harder than last year so I did struggle with them. There was also a lot of stop starting from the over crowded areas like where we waited a good 10 minutes to get through a trench as someone had gotten stuck. 

Spartan races are my favourite races in general as the atmosphere is so lovely. There were many helpful and kind volunteers and racers who helped me over obstacles and guided me on what to do- some giving me game changing tips. 

The finish was the best thing I had seen. Running over 13 miles was very tough, cold and with the dark drawing nearer, the finish line was all I wanted. with a time of 4:18 on the clock, I was very proud crossing the line as it was a great time in my opinion and id love to do it next year to try and beat that. The medal was also new from last years but the ribbon around it was beautiful. There was beer and a protein drink available to finishers which was lovely and just what I wanted at the end of the race. There were also amazingly comfy finishers shirts available in the tent across the race village




In my opinion, for both the Windsor races, the village wasn't the best. The toilets had no loo roll at all and were kept very unclean even for portaloos. There were also not many bins and there wasn't a shower at all so you had to bring wet wipes or go home muddy but that lead to wet wipe piles being littered around the course. The parking and drive down was also horrendous. For a 3 minute road, it took the best part of an hour to get down because of the Spartan traffic was holding people up. This was caused by slow staff and people getting stuck on the wet and muddy field (it was almost as muddy as the race course!) 


Spartan Sprint - October 1st 2017 - 5-7km


 Beginning at 12:36 and only having to run a fraction of what I had to the day before, I decided it was time to go hard-core and try my best in this race. I ached all over and my knees and ankles felt like they would give up any moment but with a respectable time of 1:21, finished the race with a high and actually began to miss it and wished I had another one to do.  

The harder obstacles had been cut from this shorter race which meant it was easy and by using part of the same course, meant I knew what to expect, how to conquer them and how to do it quickly. 

I am so happy with myself and would recommend you too do a Spartan race. Thank you so much Spartan for giving me this challenge and ill definitely be seeing you next year!

Thanks for reading, lots of love 

Signature

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Todays views